Extra Types of Coverage You May Want

Last updated: March 29, 2016

Keep Everything You Want Covered

Other Property and Personal Liability Coverages

Besides standard types of coverage, you may buy other types as separate policies or as additions to your existing policy.

  • These extra coverages will add extra cost to your premium.

Inflation Guard Coverage

This helps you maintain adequate protection. Even though the amount of homeowners insurance you carry should be at least 80% of your home replacement cost, that amount of coverage may not be enough in the future.

  • Inflation guard coverage makes periodic increases in the policy limit.

  • It also allows the insurance company to automatically change your policy limit when you renew.

  • Not all insurance companies offer this coverage.

Scheduled Personal Property Coverage

This usually covers possessions such as jewelry, furs, stamps, coins, guns, computers, antiques or other items that may exceed normal limits in your homeowners insurance policy.

  • These endorsements often provide broader coverage, for an extra charge, than that in a homeowners insurance policy. Other optional coverages include:

    • Increased limits on money and securities kept in your home

    • Secondary residence premises (such as vacation homes, etc.)

    • Watercraft

    • Higher limits of theft protection

    • Theft or illegal use of credit or debit cards

    • Business activities and rental properties

    • Personal injury liability (slander, libel, etc.)

Fire and Extended Coverage

Your dwelling may not meet an insurance company’s underwriting requirements to qualify for a standard homeowners policy. If that happens, a company may offer you limited coverage on your home.

  • These limited insurance policies are often referred to as a dwelling or fire and extended coverage policy. They provide coverage for only your dwelling or structure.

  • This is not the same as a homeowners insurance policy.

  • Coverage usually includes insurance against the following:

    • Fire or lightning

    • Windstorm or hail

    • Explosion

    • Riot or civil commotion

    • Aircraft

    • Vehicles

    • Smoke

  • The policy does not cover contents or personal liability.

Flood Insurance

All homeowners and property insurance policies exclude damage from flood or rising water.

  • Flood insurance is available through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

  • If your home is located in a floodplain, your lender will require flood insurance.

For more information, contact the NFIP at its toll-free number: 888-379-9531.

  • To get a flood brochure listing insurance companies that offer policies, contact the NFIP.

  • The Kansas Insurance Department does not regulate any federal insurance programs, including the NFIP. 

  • For more information on flood insurance click here.

Earthquake Insurance

Recently parts of Kansas have experienced an increase in earthquake and ground movement. A standard homeowners policy does not cover damage caused by earthquakes. You may be able to get a rider or separate policy covering your home in case of earthquakes

  • A standard earthquake policy will cover repairs to your home needed because of an earthquake.

  • It may also cover other structures not attached to your home, like a garage. It will also cover any personal property that is damaged by an earthquake directly.

  • A standard earthquake policy will not cover damage to your automobile or damage caused by a fire, even if it was caused by an earthquake.

  • It also usually will not cover damage to land or water damage (which would be covered by flood insurance).

  • Ask your agent to clearly explain what is and isn’t covered under an earthquake policy.

Umbrella Liability Policy

This policy gives an extra $1 million to $5 million of liability coverage beyond the limits of your homeowners personal liability coverage.

  • This is excess personal liability coverage that pays only after you exhaust the primary limits of personal liability coverage.

  • The company providing personal liability coverage will normally make you maintain certain limits of liability for your primary personal liability coverage.

  • Also, insurance companies often demand that they provide the primary coverage for your motor vehicles and your primary residence before they offer an umbrella liability policy.

This article is published on KansasMoney.gov. Find more information by contacting these state agencies: