Preventing Insurance Fraud after an Accident

Last updated: September 17, 2015

An Auto Accident is a Vulnerable Time for Insurance Fraud

After a crash you may not quite be thinking straight. So prepare yourself before such accidents occur. Know what Kansas law requires you to give to others.

Remember: if someone is injured after an auto accident, this needs to be taken care of first.

Both parties involved in an accident need to share:

  • Their car’s make, model, year and license plate number.

  • Witnesses’ names and contact information. 
  • The name, badge number, and contact information for the officer who comes to the accident. Ask the officer when and where to get the accident report and accident report number.
  • The time, date, and location of the accident (with notes of skid marks, weather and road conditions). Take a photo or sketch a diagram of the accident scene.

If requested, you must also share

  • Your driver's license number (Don't let them take a picture of it!)

  • Name of insurance provider

  • And insurance policy number.

For a great resource download this mobile app or print off a pdf copy of an accident checklist.

Providing Proof of Insurance

In Kansas, you are financially responsible for any motor vehicle accident you cause. To follow state laws, owners of highway-titled vehicles must buy at least the minimum mandatory insurance coverages and limits.  Under Kansas laws, you are required to provide proof of insurance, which may be an insurance binder, policy and/or identification card.  You may be required by the following to provide proof of personal automobile insurance:

  • A law enforcement officer.

  • At the scene of a motor vehicle accident.

  • At the county treasurer’s office when you register or renew your motor vehicle tags.

Failure to comply with Kansas law may result in a monetary fine and/or driver’s license suspension.

Learn more about auto insurance by clicking here

Learn more about vehicle insurance scams by clicking here

This article is published on Find more information by contacting these state agencies: