When a Vehicle Is Declared Totaled

Last updated: October 7, 2015

Navigating the Aftermath of an Accident

Don't worry! Kansas law provides prompt and fair evaluations of the value of a damaged vehicle.

An insurance company may decide a motor vehicle will cost more to fix than its market value. This means they will declare the vehicle a total loss. They will use sources (such as used car guides) to determine its retail value or actual cash value (AVC) of the car.

  • This is the case in windstorm or hail damage as well.

The Company Must Declare the Vehicle Totaled if:

  1. The damage to the vehicle meets or exceeds 75% of its retail value
  2. And is 7 years old or less
  • (But cars older than 7 years old may vary)

You have the option to keep your vehicle after it is totaled.  

  • Insurance companies may deduct the salvage amount from their total loss settlement to you. You should be aware although.
  • If you choose to keep your vehicle, you may need to register a salvaged title with the Kansas Department of Revenue.

This article is published on KansasMoney.gov. Find more information by contacting these state agencies: